06 Feb um…excuse me… you want to steam your what now?
Boys, look away now. We’re about to talk about girly bits.
Or a V-Steam, as it’s now being referred to. Yep, it’s a thing.
If you haven’t heard about v-steaming, here’s the lowdown. Gwyneth Paltrow is into it, exclusive day spas in the US are offering it… so apparently it won’t be long now until we’re all squatting over a steaming bowl of mugwort and wormwood tea, all in the name of a healthy hoo-ha. You can read about its reported benefits here and here.
Apparently, vaginal steaming can help with everything from period pain to infertility and infections.
That all seems well and good, but I think we’ve missed the point in all the excitement. If you really want to look after your va-jay-jay and associated female organs, you need to address your reproductive health from the inside.
No, not inside THERE, inside your gut! Oh dear… stay with me while I explain.
The gut is where the health of your body is created and sometimes destroyed. An unhealthy digestive system can cause a chain reaction which can affect every organ in the body. Yes, including THOSE organs down there.
If your gut isn’t in tip top order, you may not be absorbing the nutrients from the food you eat. Your hormones might be thrown out of balance. You may develop conditions which cause inflammation. You may even end up more susceptible to infections.
So before you sit over a hot herbal infusion, consider the following.
If you’re suffering from period pain:
- Are you low in magnesium? A deficiency in this important mineral at period time can lead to uterine muscle cramps and spasms (known as dysmenorrhoea, or commonly referred to as “get me a friggin’ Neurofen and a hot water bottle!”).
- Is your body in an inflammatory state? Are you consuming too much processed food, sugar, coffee or alcohol, or do you have an underlying food intolerance? This can lead to inflammation – not good when period time comes around.
If you are prone to infections down there:
- Is it a candida infection, aka thrush? Try cutting down sugar, processed grains and alcohol, and supplementing with a good probiotic and some lovely fermented foods like sauerkraut. Address any food intolerances to stop it coming back.
- Does your immune system need a boost? Your immune system cells are made in the gut, so again – you guessed it – cut down on the processed foods, lay off the gluten and dairy, and heal up the gut wall with probiotics.
- Prone to urinary tract infections? UTIs have also been connected with food intolerances and an imbalance of gut bacteria. Try boosting your immune system with freshly squeezed juices, vitamin C, zinc and fermented foods.
So, if you want to steam your vagina, by all means go right ahead. If done properly, it’s not really going to hurt you, and it might help to get the blood flowing to your lady parts down there. It might even be relaxing. But if you are truly interested in improving the health of your reproductive system, remember – food is medicine and the key to a healthy body always, always, always starts with what you put in your mouth, not up your you-know-what.