15 Oct STNH 15: Dr Carrie Jones – Hormones, cortisol and why we’re so broken
“Hormones are like children – they need to be attended to at all times.”
Today’s guest is someone that I only recently discovered when watching some seminars online… but when I came across her, I was hooked! She boils the hard stuff down to make it easy, her talks are super relatable, and dare I say it, maybe even a little bit entertaining. Yep – she’s my new functional medicine nerdy girl crush.
She’s also the Clinical Medical Director of Precision Analytical, a company that does some pretty cool functional medicine testing including the DUTCH test and the cortisol awakening response. So of course I did what any nerdy girl would do – I asked her to come on the show so that I can pick her brain about her zones of genius – women’s hormones, adrenals, and functional testing.
Yep, we’re getting into the technical stuff today – so grab a pen and paper, strap yourself in, and soak up the wisdom that is Dr Carrie Jones.
In this episode you will learn:
- The reason that women are more affected than men when it comes to toxic exposure.
- Why plastics (and bottled water!) are so bad when it comes to hormone disruption.
- The causes of PMS, endometriosis and fertility problems.
- The rise in weight gain and moodiness in men, and what to do about it.
- Which hormones to test for and why.
- How to re-balance your hormones (there’s plenty that we can do!).
- Why liver detoxification is key to hormone balance.
- Why TSH is not a TRUE marker of what your thyroid is doing (and what you should be testing instead).
- DUTCH Testing for female hormones – what it is, and who can benefit from it.
- The different markers on a hormone test and what they mean.
- Why estrogen-dominant cancers can be affected by our hormone detoxification pathways.
- Why broccoli and brassica-based foods and supplements can help with hormone balance.
- The COMT gene and its role in hormone metabolism.
- A supplement called DIM – when to use it, when NOT to use it, and why you need to be super careful with it.
- The link between elevated histamine and oestrogen.
- Why getting your cortisol tested via a single blood test is NOT the most accurate way to do it.
- Why issues with cortisol balance can lead to autoimmune disease (and how to prevent it!).
- How to reset your circadian rhythms, and why deep sleep is EVERYTHING.
Want more of Dr Carrie Jones?
Click here to check out her website: http://drcarriejones.com.