27 Jun dairy free corn chowder
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free.
Winter getting you down? Well, I have the solution… more soup! The bright, sunny colour of the corn is sure to bring a smile to your face, and if you serve it in a cup, you can use it to keep your hands warm too. Although chowders are not usually blended, I have taken some poetic licence here – forgive me, purists!
This dairy free corn chowder takes about 15 minutes to make and serves 3-4 people.
2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
1 stick celery, diced finely
1 onion, diced finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
kernels from 4 cobs of corn
1 tsp turmeric
2 1/2 cups chicken or veggie stock
1-2 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
1/2 cup raw cashews
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
chives, to garnish
Let’s do this!
1. Fry the onion and celery in the coconut oil over a medium heat until translucent.
2. Add the potatoes, garlic and turmeric and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the stock and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
4. Add the corn and cook another 2 minutes until it turns a bright yellow colour.
5. Tip the soup into your Froothie Optimum blender with the nutritional yeast and cashews, and blend until smooth. Depending on how thick you like your soup, you may want to add a little more stock.
6. Sprinkle with chives and serve.