This week I’m bringing you a special episode with Lauren Lacey from Involvement Volunteers International. Lauren is co-ordinating a team of over 30 health professionals (myself included!) who will travel to Greece in February bring health care to refugees.
How often do you turn on the news, see the terrible atrocities happening in the world, and feel helpless? Do you share posts and videos on social media, and wish you could do something more REAL, more powerful, but you don’t know where to start?
I felt that way too.
So when I was offered to be a part of the solution, in a small but significant way, I jumped at the chance.
Together with a team of doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, naturopaths and nutritionists, I will be making my way to Greece in just over a week’s time!
The refugee camps are going to be confronting and overcrowded. We will be dealing with malnutrition, trauma, and a vast array of illness and disease.
So what can a naturopath do in a situation like this?
- We will be helping to support malnourished pregnant women and will make sure they have the nutrition they need.
- We will be supporting lactating mothers to breastfeed so they don’t have to resort to expensive formulas.
- We will provide first aid and health checks for incoming refugees
- We will be taking charge of the distribution of herbs and supplements which have been kindly donated by companies and clinics.
- We will be implementing basic exercise programs for adults and children
- We will be educating families around the concept of a “healthy plate” and implementing nutritional programs.
Our involvement allows the doctors and nurses to get on with the job of providing much needed medical assistance, knowing that we’ve got their back. Hand in hand, we will work together in the spirit of collaboration to make a real difference.
Listen as I chat with Lauren about what to expect, and how we are going to lend a hand.
Please help us to re-build the lives of these refugees
The Syrian people have very little access to fresh fruit and vegetables, and nutritional deficiencies are rife, so I plan to use any excess cash I have on healthy produce and supplements.
If you would like to help (yay!) you can donate here:
You will receive blow by blow updates on how your donation is spent, via blog posts, Facebook posts, and even the odd video or two.
If you can’t afford to part with any cash right now (that’s cool – I’ve been there too!), no worries – please share my GoGet page so that others may contribute.
Want to know more about Involvement Volunteers International?
Check out their website here:
(and you can donate to Lauren’s Shopping Bag campaign here too!)
And check out their Facebook page here:
Worried About Adrenal Fatigue?
Follow me here for more awesome healthy stuff...